We live in a very tech world and this makes us become less and less physical active. However, if for us there is not such a big problem, as we have practiced sports in our younger years back in the days, today’s children and teenagers, seem to prefer being online rather than being outdoors.
Mainly due to this we should make sure we know and explain to them the big benefits sports can have for one. These benefits are both for them and their life now as well as for their coming years.
However, making it easier for them to understand is important for them to see the benefits for them as teenagers and how sports can improve their life in all its aspects.
According to the Council of Europe, sports means “all forms of physical activity […] aim at expressing or improving physical fitness and mental well-being, forming social relationships or obtaining results in competition at all levels.”
Sport is essential for the development of young people. It is good for various reasons that you will see below. If your teenager does not have the taste of it yet, this means he just has to try various till he finds what is the right sport for him. Sport is easy and becomes a pleasure once you get the taste of it.
Sports to choose from
Between the ages of 13 to 15 it has been demonstrated that girls involvement in sport drops more than in boys. This may be due to the transformations their bodies go through. However, this is not a reason good enough not to practice sport.
As a teenager you have various possibilities of sports. Whilst the best sports in this period of life are the outdoor ones, there are some indoors sports that can also be practiced and bring good results.
Some of the sports to choose from as a teenager are hiking, mountain biking, cycling, resistance, handball, football, volleyball, basketball, aerobic, fitness, tennis. Some can be practiced with your family, some with your peers and colleagues and some with a trainer. Whichever you choose, it is important to fit your needs and your capacities.
Sport benefits for teenagers
Sport contributes to the teenagers well-being overall. Encouraging teenagers to practice sports is important as sport brings many benefits.
- Physical health
- First and foremost, practicing sports will have a good effect on a teenager’s metabolism, heart rate and overall physical condition. Sports will increase the energy level and improve movement and motor skills while still developing. It will give a balance to the organism; a balance that is needed while passing through the teenage years changes.
- Improve the social life
- As a teenager you are not entirely formed, you pass through a lot of changes, some that relate to the friends you have around you. Practicing a sport can be a social activity and an easy way for the young people to make friends that have the same passions and form long lasting friendships. Team sports are mainly important for this.
- Communication is very much influenced by sports. It helps young people form connections and improve their socializing skills.
- Good for the mind
- Being a teenager and going though all the changes in your life can be a challenge for some. Sports is a good answer to cope with these changes. It can help one beat the anxiety, depression, eating disorders, attention deficit and even hyperactivity disorders.
- As we live in a very stressful world where everything happens faster than we have the chance to chew on, sports will help one maintain a positive mental health. Young people can reduce their anxiety, love problems, school problems teenage problems and many others through sport practicing.
- Sport increases their self-esteem. Contributing to one’s mental-well-being, the young will have an increased sense of pride and purpose. It will boost their self-confidence.
- As it affects the levels of the dopamine and serotonin hormones, sports contribute to mood improvement. When practicing sport brain chemicals are triggered and this lead to one feeling happier and more relaxed.
- Better school results
- All the above lead to the most important effect on a teenager – increasing concentration; this will help them in their critical thinking and a better and easier learning.
- An improved energy will make them learn better
- Have a higher discipline in their program
- Be more competitive
- Increase their sense of discipline
- Good behaviour changes
- Having a teenage is a hard job and no one can deny this. They think they own the world and they are the only ones that know what is right and what is wrong. We’ve all seen that and been through that. Anyhow, sports can have a good effect on their behaviour and thinking.
- It can help them adopt healthier decisions, have a better sleep, choose not to smoke or drink, overall, make the right choices for their life as future adults.
- This will help them to a healthy development in the future and a good health.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- As hormonal imbalances are often in this teenage period, it is important to maintain a healthy weight. Practicing sports will help one stay in the recommended weight range and reduce the chance of developing other diseases in the future.
- Increase the leadership skills
- Sports contribute a lot to the development of teenagers as people. Participating in sports and mainly team sports, will increase the leadership qualities in a young.
The above are just the main benefits your teenager can have from practicing a sport. It is important to know that the younger the children will start participating in sport activities, the more likely they are to stay active as they grow old.
Even the small reason to keep them away from TV or computer, should make you want to give your teenager a stimulus to start some kind of sport. However, sport practicing in teenagers means so much more than this.