Horseback riding is for all ages
Horses are one of the animals that you can meet anywhere and simply enjoy their company. They are very smart animals and apart from this, they have very well-developed senses. Learning to horse ride offers countless benefits, and stoke a passion that can last for life. In this article, we’ll cover many associated topics to help give you an overview, or even some new ideas!
Horses sense smell at a higher level than humans do, they have more than 360-degree sight and they have that sense of defending their young ones when danger is near. Apart from this, if a horse is well taken care of and fed and cleaned he is one of the cleanest animals that exist. Domesticated and well looked after horses are used for leisure activities. When your little one wants to have a horse as a pet, for sports – such as equestrianism, horse racing, horse training and horse tack and as with working activities. Some horses are
Your kids can start to learn to ride a horse or pony at almost any age. The people in the stables will choose a smaller and good natured horse for all children. Did you know that horses have personalities, just like humans? You can find a loving and gentle horse to bond with!
There are many reasons to love horses. Below there are some reasons for which I love horses:
- They are there for me in any possible situation. They become more than horses to whoever has them. They easily become friends, companions when you are alone and fitness instructors, when I ride along.
- When a child asks you for a horse, it means they are ready to mature. Horses will surely teach them to take care and care for someone else rather than themselves. A child can become very responsible when it comes to having a horse to take care of.
- Mainly taking care of horses, we will live a healthier and fitter life. I do not have time to waste as taking proper care of horses means a lot of things.
- They improve my social life. There are many activities to do while having a horse – hanging out at the stables with my friends, go to different competitions, shows.
- It is said that they just offer one a positive attitude and mental health. It is like natural medicine, as their only presence is said to lower blood pressure and improve your mood. They also seem to sense when you are depressed, sad and they just react in many ways you did not think possible, and your problems just vanish.
- I can find myself. They make no difference between human beings, they see me as I am no matter my social status.
- They just take me flying. Without any problems on board or with problems on board, after riding the horse all other issues seem to have vanished.
- They teach me what real trust is. I just had to trust them and I proved right. I just trust a 1200-pound animal that is just as big enough to kill me but I trust it. I put on its back without any second thoughts or fear.
- They teach me to overcome fear. Despite the fact that I fell the first times I was on it; I went back on its back and back again. Till I managed to do it well.
- They bring you close to nature. Just taking the horse and ride along the mountain paths is a wonderful feeling and it also lets you become closer to nature and what it has to offer.
- They are just what you need to feel yourself. They are strong, powerful, sleek and beautiful. When they gallop it’s the most wonderful thing especially with you feeling their strength and power beneath you.
- They are your partner
onthe long run. If you commit to them they feel it and they will get to know you and your feelings, more than you thought they could.
- They offer relaxing moments when just brushing them, covering their hooves with shiny oil. They are just a partner or a baby and they are family and I love showing them a little love from time to time.
Bringing a horse into your family
We live in a world where we want more and more to have space around us and many move at countryside to be able to have this physical space. Anyhow, living at the countryside allows us to have more than just one animal next.
Apart from making the usual animal pet animal choices, we can also have others, not just the common ones. If we have space, having and caring for a horse and more can prove to be a full-time job. It offers both a lot of work for it and as well a friend to go to and recharge the batteries when we need this.
Getting to love a horse is an easy job as they are very beautiful animals and they help us with many things. But we should give them more than just love, we have to give them the care and the things they need to stay healthy.
The barn for a horse, no matter what type he is, should have basics such as:
- Enough space for the equipment.
- Space to store the food.
- A grooming space (this can come in as optional).
- A wash stall.
- A space for rest.
- Enough space for the horse to lift their head up.
- Natural light and air.
- A good anti-rain and anti-snow stable.
- Easy to clean floors and ones that do dry quickly and do not stay wet long time.
Seeing the above, we should realize that the bigger the horse is, the larger the stall should be and the bigger the care for it is. After having the above, we need to make sure we have the necessary things to maintain the barn at a certain required level.
Therefore, let us look at some of the necessary supplies:
- Pitch fork
- Broom for the stable (it should be harder than a usual one)
- Wheelbarrow (we need to carry the food and make it easy for us)
- Manure fork
- Some insect spray (just in case, so that the horse will not experience any uncomfortable situations)
Now let us take the next step – the feeding equipment you need for a horse. For starters, the basic to have are:
- Feeding tub
- Large buckets for the water, to keep the horse hydrated
- Water heater (for those cold days of autumn and winter)
While we have the grooming space, we also need some grooming utensils.
- Curry comb
- Brush for the body
- Cloth to wash and then wipe the horse
- Fly repellent for the hair
- Breakway halters
- Rope (for leading the horse)
When ready to ride, we need some extras to be able to hop on him. Buying the saddle will be a hard thing as it needs to go well with the horse. They just need to clinch together. So, good luck with that!!!
- Blanket or saddle pad
- Helmet (that will be for us)
- Boots with one inch heel
To be fully functional a horse also needs a blacksmith from time to time, once every six weeks. He needs to have the routine hoof trimming or shoeing done. Moreover, while we also take him for rides and take him for strolls, for those days when we don’t, he needs to have his exercise done. For this he would use a paddock where to relax and stroll all day long.
We should not forget the veterinary control every now and then. A horse needs care and check to make sure he did not get any parasites or diseases. A veterinary can help vaccinate the horse against problems such as tetanus, viral respiratory disease and strangles. As far as the health and the general condition of a horse concerns, owning horse implies checking the teeth, feet, worming, overall body condition and laminitis (for the fatter horses).
Having the horse microchipped is an option if we want to cover emergencies as well. This will help identify the horse and as well the horse owner and where the property is.
Taking into consideration all the above, it is basically impossible not to be able to enjoy the satisfactions a horse brings us.